Thursday, November 13, 2008

Greetings from an Outsider in Gandia

I´ve been asked to write a guest entry for my friends here and i´m hoping to offer a bit more of an outside perspective to the irregular updates that we´ve all been following over the months. I arrived in Spain on the 6th and, though I wouldn´t consider myself a ¨sista,¨ I did bring my bicycle and I like to think of myself as an honorary member of this elite unit.

My impressions of the trip are too many to name here, but I´ll share some of what I´ve witnessed since I arrived.

Most of the entries that I´ve read here seem, in a word, soft. Make no mistake, there is nothing soft about these girls. Riding down a coastal highway on a bike strapped with fifty pounds is not for the faint of heart. This occurs to me when a cargo truck blows by at seventy kilometers an hour, leaving a margin between collision and a blast of disarming wind at about three feet.

Many in Spain seem to view them, in passing and in conversation, with undeniable admiration. Some seem to think they´re crazy. Some might not be far off on that. They´ve all begun talking to inanimate objects including their food, bikes, and some of the more charming trees. Nadia won´t stop going on about ham sandwiches. I don´t believe they´re crazy, but simply dancing on that fine line between bravery and insanity. This is not a dance that one does on such a grand stage without a bit of practice and, if I know anything about my friends, I´d say they´re well rehearsed.

I´d like to say more about my reasons for putting my trust in this lot, but I´ll probably save that for another time. The one thing I will say is that Spain is beautiful, my guides are extremely experienced and I know that I´m in good hands.

That´s it for now. Beun viaje.


bryan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The great poet once said "Being crazy in paradise is easy..." So who ever this outsider may be, he forgot to mention daddy's credit card some where between bravery and insanity.

Cycling Sistas said...

Sean Nami, speak for yourself...I didn´t borrow a dime for this trip, so you can stick the credit card comment where the sun don´t shine.

Nadia h. Mercer said...

can you send me your credit card please?

Unknown said...

i maxed my credit card out on those flamenco dancing lessons